All the windows here are Victorian or later, and all of them are good examples of their kind.
In 1889 Miss Mary Marris, a prominent philanthropist in the town, gave three windows made by
Burlison and Grylls in memory of her mother’s family, the Turners. Burlison and Grylls
were highly regarded — the Rose Window in Westminster Abbey is another example of their work.
Above the west door of the tower, and visible from the nave, is the Mary Window, also by
Burlison and Grylls: a Madonna and Child financed by contributions from women named Mary who lived in the town.
It can now be seen at close quarters from the Upper Meeting Room, created in 1995; before that it could only be
seen at a distance from the ground floor. And yet the detail is still fine — every nail and strand of hair
can be seen, with delicate flowers around the feet of Mary. Clearly this window was created for God to see, and
not for us.
The stained glass in the north and south windows of the sanctuary is by Kempe, whose
trademark is a small tower in the corner of their windows, and is in memory of Canon and Mrs Maclean —
Canon Maclean was vicar of Caistor from 1844 to 1886. The Epiphany Window, also by Kempe, was
installed in 1910 in memory of William and Charlotte Brooks, who farmed first at Fonaby and later at Hundon
Manor. A further Kempe window was given in memory of Canon Westbrooke by his sister.
The East window, above the High Altar, is in memory of the Kenningtons, who originated in
Caistor but moved to Edinburgh, where Charles established the famous department store Kennington and Jenners.
Photographs of the glass by Jules & Jenny and Julian P Guffogg.
Full picture credits.
In other windows you will find the story of David and Goliath, St Michael slaying the dragon, the Christmas
and Easter stories, Jesus healing and teaching, and the Palm Sunday entry into Jerusalem — or is it Jericho,
with little Zacchaeus up in the tree?
The Westbrookes
The long incumbency of the Revd, later Canon, W. F. W. Westbrooke, Vicar of Caistor from 1886 to 1916, is
marked by the oak lectern that has been in use since 1912, carved with wooden effigies of St Peter and St Paul.
The Westbrooke family was also responsible for the Rood Beam. To the right of the north door is a memorial to
Canon Westbrooke’s son, who died in Nigeria having served in the Boer War; to the left is an effigy of an
angel in memory of the Westbrookes’ infant daughter, Mary.